Best animal rescues around West Chester: Adopt, donate or volunteer
WEST CHESTER, PA – Spring brings National Adopt a Pet Day from a shelter, but when that has come and gone, many animals remain, waiting for homes in West Chester and around Chester County.
Those adorable puppy and kitten eyes might look unfairly appealing, but pets make great companions. Pets have been shown and reported to increase well-being and improve mental health.
If you love animals but aren’t able to adopt right now, you might consider volunteering at a local shelter. Help is usually needed to exercise the dogs, clean up, feed the pets, and help raise funds. Donating is also a way to bring pets into homes; your donation can reduce local veterinary care costs so more people can afford to adopt pets.
Great animal sanctuaries around West Chester
Brandywine Valley SPCA has placed more than 4,700 animals in homes this year as it targets 16,000. Under the Brandwine Valley SPCA umbrella are eight facilities, including a shelter in West Chester on Phoenixville Pike and a health center animal in Malvern.
- View adoptable dogs in West Chester and find the Kitty Cam live here.
- Donate or volunteer for BVSPCA. They need the help of the community.
- Fundraising or adoption events are a good way to help. View upcoming community events.
LaMancha Animal Rescue is a no-kill shelter on 45 acres near Unionville in Chester County that rescues dogs and cats as well as farm animals like goats and horses. LaMancha aims to accommodate dogs least likely to be adopted from other shelters.
- LaMancha Animal Rescue relies on those who donate to support their work.
- Animals available for adoption from LaMancha are on PetFinder.com and adopt-a-pet.com as well as LaMancha’s Facebook page.
All 4 Paws Rescue is a no-kill shelter in Malvern that helps foster all breeds of dogs. The shelter offers refuge and rehabilitation to animals for whom the 4 legs can be a last chance.
- The placement policy means the animals live with families who are trained to help the rescue facilitate adoptions that fit well.
- Half of the dogs in shelters and more than half of the cats are destroyed because there is no one to adopt them. Founded in 2009, All 4 Paws rescued 10,000 animals in its first 10 years.
- Volunteers are needed, as well as those who can donate.
Finding Shelter Animal Rescue is a volunteer-supported no-kill shelter in southeastern Pennsylvania. The association works to save, rehabilitate and find homes for the animals. Finding Shelter supports state legislation called “Victoria Law” that would require pet stores here to stop selling commercially bred dogs, cats and rabbits and only offer animals rescued from shelters and rescues. Detailed information on Victoria’s law can be found via Humane PA PAC.
- Donations are needed to help Finding Shelter rehabilitate and place the pets they have rescued.
- Visit the Finding Shelter Facebook page to take a look at the animals waiting for adoption.
Make Peace With Animals is an all-volunteer local non-profit organization dedicated to finding “peaceful solutions” to issues that arise with animals in communities. His particular goal is to find adoptions for retired racing greyhounds. Make Peace With Animals has chapters in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
- Make Peace With Animals publishes its animals available on PetFinder.com. Greyhounds like Jody are waiting for homes.
- The organization’s website offers useful veterinary information.
Find an Animal Rescue Shelter to this little girl who receives basic care: