Spice! PETA picks the 10 best vegan chili dishes in the US
For immediate release:
October 1, 2021
Nicole Meyer 202-483-7382
Norfolk, Virginia. – To celebrate the start of fall, PETA has scoured the country in search of the best and most hearty vegan chili dishes – and now the group is spill the beans on its findings. The first place goes to iconic Ben’s Chili Bowl in Washington, DC, for its unbeatable Animal-Free Recipe – a hit with everyone from former President Barack Obama to Jimmy Fallon – which can be enjoyed on its own or on a vegan dog or Beyond Burger. Here are the other winners:
- Vegan queso chili cheese fries topped with spicy meatless chili crumbles, dairy free queso, green onions and chopped tomatoes The social vegan in Lexington, Kentucky
- Hearty Chili made with sweet potatoes, butternut squash and beans and served with tortilla chips The Lunch Room / Detroit Street Filling Station in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Chili Bowl stacked with vegetables and served with slices of jalapeño for an extra boost to FIREFLY in Charlottesville, Virginia
- The bowl of vegan chili topped with tofu served on a bed of super tasty spicy rice at Leaf and Bean House in Jacksonville, Florida
- Chili with homemade vegan beef and coriander cream Dirt burger in Des Moines, Iowa
- Black Bean Chili is packed with bulgur, green peppers, carrots, cabbage, and hot spices to The seed in Athens, Georgia
- Chili smothered in vegan garlic sour cream, pico de gallo, lime and crispy Vegan restaurant Arles & Boggs in Wallingford, Connecticut
- The protein-rich vegan chili with 5 beans Webster Bookstore Cafe at State College, Pennsylvania
- The Charlie Bae bowl filled with black beans and sautéed mushrooms and served over a bowl of cilantro rice with a vegan ranch and microgreens at Bae plant in Montgomery, Alabama
“Chili is the ultimate comfort food, and these mouthwatering vegan versions come with the comforting thought that no animal has been harmed to prepare them,” said PETA President Ingrid Newkirk. “PETA celebrates these special places to help people enjoy delicious, cruelty-free, cholesterol-free meals. “
PETA notes that vegan meat sales increased 148% in 2020 from the previous year, and that 47% of Americans want to incorporate more vegan foods into their meals in 2021.
Each restaurant will receive a framed certificate from PETA, which offers many vegan chili recipes on their website.
PETA – whose motto reads, in part, that “animals are not ours to eat” – opposes speciesism, a human supremacist worldview. For more information, please visit PETA.org or follow the group on Twitter, Facebook, Where Instagram.